These are all turned around because I don’t want anyone to see the titles written on the fronts.
I started trying something new over the winter break, inspired by Jeff Lemire’s notebooking practise.
The brown one on the far right is a development notebook for a suite of ideas I want to locate and isolate. If it turns out that one of the ideas in that notebook looks like it has enough juice and heft to go somewhere, it gets broken out into its own notebook for further development.
For many many years, all my heavy development work has gone straight into txt files on the computer. Composing directly into the machine. Last autumn, I figured it was time to start challenging that practise. I’ve obviously been comfortable with my process for over a decade, if not longer. At some point I wondered if that comfort was an obstruction to getting to new places. So I decided to introduce some new friction into the method to see what happens. It’s always worth running tests on the way you work.